Pikudei Excerpts

פיקודי

Shabbat Shalom

(39:36) And they finished the Mishkan they brought the Mishkan to Moshe.
I have not been shown anything of accomplishment in this shule, since I varnished the Sukkah eight years ago...Because nothing has been finished anything Bernie. The Chazan ends the repetition of the Amidah (the silent prayer) right after 'Modim.' There are three more paragraphs there...No. I don't know why we say the silent prayer out loud...Maybe it is because you don't know enough to be able to serve Gd yourself...
I have not seen the water bills. The board hasn't paid them. The water works company showed me that.
The cutout watermelon basket center piece. I never saw it. That was at my son's Bar Mitzvah. The sisterhood never finished it.

You don't show something unless it is finished, unless you are one of the kids that presented at the art fare three weeks ago...Given, it was a strong lesson in what accomplishment means...You can show it. I have seen a lot of none finished things, but they were not brought to me. You can't spread out a quarter finished plan for the new building, with pride. Pride is all gone. I thought that was going to be the size of the new synagogue. It was the size of my living room....

(39:42-43) 'so they did' all the work, like H' commanded. And Moshe so all they work they did, as H' commanded, and he 'blessed them.' 
Blessing comes after you achieve. When something is finished. Do you know how hard it is to give a blessing in this congregation? Sheryl didn't even finish her Bat Mitzvah speech last week...She did nothing anybody asked. But she accepted those gifts. The gifts of underachievement....
You do not give a blessing. You should be adequate and not finish what you set out to do. This congregation does not need that blessing. It is superb at achieving that...It needs a decent food decorator. Somebody who can bring some holiness to this congregation, and deliver what is purchased from them...I still have not gotten that  money back for the watermelon.

***These are excerpts from the sermon. For the sermon in its entirety, come see David Kilimnick perform at the Off The Wall Comedy Basement, in downtown Jerusalem.
David also tours as a Maggid around the world, with very few stories.
Shabbat Shalom

Comments

Popular Posts